Thursday 6 February 2014

Mosheera and Mircha

My wife is a Southern girl- Charleston, South Carolina to be exact.  Her mom is Egyptian so her culinary skills are diverse.  It has been a constant battle with my weight since I got married! I love to cook and cooking was my way of relaxing when I was a single man.  However my wife also likes to cook and as far as she is concerned, the kitchen is hers.  The most cooking I have done in the past five years was a six month period during the time I was studying for a year in Durham and she was in Charleston and Cairo.  Once she joined me in Durham, she took over cooking duties!

The wife has always been envious of my ability to cook mouth-watering Indian dishes.  She finally decided that the best way to deal with it was to learn to cook Indian food. However, not just learn to cook, but to learn from the best- one of my sisters.  I learnt to cook Indian food from watching my mother, who was an excellent cook, and from my sisters.  One of my sisters runs a Gujarati Indian cooking class and at the beginning of this year, she started a set of classes at her new location.  The wife was first in line to register!
The wife has so far cooked two of the dishes she was taught in class.  I have to admit that they were delicious and I wanted to eat the entire pot of food at one sitting!  This is testament not only to her culinary prowess but also to the excellent teacher she has!

If you want to learn to cook authentic Indian cuisine, then Mircha is where you need to go.  Check out their Facebook page and contact my sister Hanifa Nakhuda.  She offers eight week sessions with classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  The next two sessions are February 18 – April 8, 2014 (Tuesdays) and March 12 – April 30, 2014 (Wednesdays).  In addition, she also conducts half-day workshops on Saturdays as well as personalised classes for individuals and small groups. 

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff. Indian food happens to be my favourite of them all; I used to try my hand at Keema every Thursday - now I just stick to my own curried inventions - just by following recipes online. I've always wanted to know if I was going right or otherwise; maybe now I won't have to marry an Indian lady to find out. ;) Glad to have stumbled across this info - cheers!

    ReplyDelete