Wednesday 26 February 2014

New York City and Multilateral Diplomacy

I travelled to NYC on Sunday and am due to leave tomorrow.  This is a work trip so nothing much to be excited about.  Not to mention, the weather, which had been relatively well-behaved for a stretch of days before I arrived, decided to return to sub-zero levels.  I have experienced many winters, both in the UK (London and Durham) and the US (NYC), but I don’t think I will ever become acclimatised to cold weather.  I am a mild weather person.  I love spring and autumn and am not a fan of extreme summer heat.

I have been back a few times to NYC since leaving the last day of December 2009 but this was the first time I had returned to go to a meeting at the UN.  It was like déjà vu.  The UN may have undergone some physical changes but substantively it remains the bureaucratic talk shop it has always been.  It was a painful few days.

On a positive note, it was nice to see some old colleagues, eat some food that I don’t have access to in Barbados and be able to purchase a few items that are either unavailable in Barbados or priced exorbitantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment