Tuesday 4 February 2014

Of Kids, Lambs and Childhood Memories

My brother-in-law has a few black belly sheep and lambs.  A ewe give birth to two lambs a few days last week but rejected one of them.  My nephews and niece have been playing mom and feeding him with a baby bottle.  They have named the lamb “Milky”.  Needless to say, Milky has become quite attached to them and acts more like a puppy than a lamb.  He tries constantly to come inside the house and prefers their company over that of the other lambs.  He seems to think he is human!

I finally got a chance to visit Milky over the past weekend and when I got there it was his feeding time.  What a greedy little lamb! He devoured a bottle of milk in a few seconds.  He is so adorable and I was reminded of a kid I had when I was a little boy.  I had always liked sheep and goats and of course even more so lambs and kids.  When I was growing up, the only way to obtain Halal mutton and chicken was to do the slaughtering yourself.  There was one family who sold Halal beef so my mom would get her beef from them.  I therefore grew up seeing sheep and chickens being slaughtered on a routine basis.  Gujaratis however do not eat goat so we had never had reason to purchase any.  I persuaded my old man to get a kid from this man who raised goats.  He was so cute and delightful and he would come in the house and act like he was a pet, which in essence he was. I raised him till he became a huge goat with large horns.  However, not only was he huge, but he was also very aggressive and no one could approach him except me.  Tired of his butting everyone who went near him, my parents decided it was time for him to go.  One day, I came home from Islamic school- it was school vacation so Islamic school was held in the mornings- and there was no goat. I threw a fit!  My old man had gotten his friend who lived in the next street to come and kill the goat.  He could not bear to do it himself.  It took me many years to forgive them for that and I refused to eat any lamb for fear that it may be actually be goat disguised as lamb. 


No comments:

Post a Comment